Pages

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Home Crafted Gift for the Holidays- T-shirt Pillow

Brightestest Blessings and Welcome to all those visiting from the Domestic Witch!

A little about me: I'm a mother of two daughters; who are 4 and 6. I am married to a wonderful guy, we were handfastened November 14th, 2009. I've only been on the path as a Pagan since March and currently taking some *free* online courses to further my studies. We are moving in with my Grandmother at the end of the month to save up money and to help her out; she is in rehab for her hip.

Ok on to the gift...T-Shirt Pillows! I found directions for this in some teen magazine several years back and finally made a few of them. Now I warn yall I am not a seamstress!

Directions: ( I pulled these of College Candy since I'm bad at them)
Materials:
-1 Old t-shirt
-Throw pillow sans cover, or pillow stuffing (found at craft stores)
-Needle and thread or sewing machine
Steps:


1) Mark cutting lines on the shirt with chalk or washable fabric pen. To decide the size you need, take the dimensions of the pillow and about 1/2″ on each side for seam allowance, plus about 1/2″ ease. So, add 1.5″ to each dimension side so the material is big enough to fit around the pillow.
2) Cut along the lines you drew (through both the front of the t-shirt and the back!).
3) Separate the two layers of fabric and flip both sides upside down (so the designs on the front and back face each other) and stitch along the edge of three sides (usually left, top, and right).
4) Flip it back out so you can see the design and stuff the inside, either with the throw pillow sans cover or with stuffing.
5) Sew along the bottom of the square-shaped pillow to enclose the stuffing.

** Now me I'm not good at following directions, I just cut across the top and then i just flip it inside-out sew along the bottom and half-away along the top then flip it back to right side stuff it and then finishing sewing it.**
I don't have any current pictures of the process of me making one but here are some of the pillows I've done ...





6 comments:

Tiffany said...

What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing.

Dawn Marie Howard said...

These are awesome, I'm going to make some too!

Nydia said...

What a super-cool idea! Loved your fairy one!

Kisses from Nydia.

♥ Kathy said...

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving Britt ♥

AutumnRose said...

oooooooooooo--I LOVE the faery shirt!! Thank you so much for the tutorial!

Hugs from Autumn

Anonymous said...

Greetings!!
I found my way here via Domestic Witch.
What a fabulous idea!! Thank you!