I am quite fond of authors who write witchy & paranormal fiction, I also love a good mystery at times. While browsing themed mystery books, I happened upon Joyce and Jim Lavene's Renaissance Faire Mystery Series and fell in love. So, what do you do when you fall in love with an author's writing? Well stalk them of course! I found them on Facebook and just recently joined their "in-club", Joyce and Jim Lavene's Magical Mystery Team.
So, while following their page, they had a giveaway to win a copy of a book from a new series. Guess what? I entered and won!
Here is a little blurb about Spell Booked, the first book in 'The Retired Witches Mystery' Series courtesy of Amazon:
Once upon a time in Wilmington, North Carolina, three witches ran a curio shop named Smuggler’s Arcane. But as the years passed, their magical powers started to fade—leaving them no choice but to conjure up a retirement package…
Before they could blink their eyes or twitch their noses, Molly, Elsie, and Olivia somehow became eligible for AARP. But they can’t fly off to Boca Raton just yet. First they must give up their magic, recruit and train three new witches, and pass on their cherished spellbook.
They’ve barely begun to consider potential practitioners when Olivia winds up dead and their spellbook is stolen. To honor their friend and reclaim their spells, Molly and Elsie are about to go wand-to-wand with a dangerous young witch more powerful than the trio was in their prime. And this time they’re going to need more than magic up their sleeves…
Before they could blink their eyes or twitch their noses, Molly, Elsie, and Olivia somehow became eligible for AARP. But they can’t fly off to Boca Raton just yet. First they must give up their magic, recruit and train three new witches, and pass on their cherished spellbook.
They’ve barely begun to consider potential practitioners when Olivia winds up dead and their spellbook is stolen. To honor their friend and reclaim their spells, Molly and Elsie are about to go wand-to-wand with a dangerous young witch more powerful than the trio was in their prime. And this time they’re going to need more than magic up their sleeves…
Now doesn't that sound enticing? Like I mentioned above I am quite fond of witchy fiction and mysteries so put the two together and it moves up the list on my to-be read pile. The Lavenes keep it upbeat and moving, not a slow moment and one of those up all night books. The witches are quite saucy and entertaining while stirring up trouble; especially when the magic goes wonky. I am one of those people who guesses the killer from the beginning and let me tell you, you will be surprised. I rate this book 5 cauldrons out of 5 on my scale of good books. I can't wait for the next one!
If you like Paranormal Mysteries, I also recommend Annette Blair, Madelyn Alt and Juliet Blackwell to name a few. Who would you recommend?
*I was not compensated for this book and the opinions are strictly my own, but I did receive it free from winning a giveaway.
Blessed Be,
Brittany Farmer
Luna Seadragon

1 comment:
This sounds like an exciting read with engaging characters.
Post a Comment